Skip to content
What should I do if I get a call claiming there's a problem with my Social Security number or account?

Frequently Asked Questions

Last Modified:

The law requires employers to withhold taxes from employee earnings to fund the Social Security and Medicare programs. These are called Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) taxes. Your employer also pays a tax equal to the amount withheld from employee earnings.

The self-employed pay Self-Employed Contributions Act (SECA) taxes on net earnings. SECA taxes also fund Social Security and Medicare. The self-employed pay both the employee and the employer share of SECA. But the law permits them to deduct half of the self-employment tax as a business expense.


More Information

Update 2021

Fact Sheet: 2021 Social Security Changes 

Retirement Benefits: Maximum Taxable Earnings

If You Are Self-Employed

Comments (0)

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?