If you think someone is using your Social Security number (SSN), there are several actions you can take.
- Review the earnings posted to your record on your Social Security Statement and report any inconsistencies to us.
- Contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at 1-800-908-4490 or visit them online, if you believe someone is using your SSN to work, get your tax refund, or other abuses involving taxes.
- Order free credit reports annually from the three major credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion). Make a single request for all three credit bureau reports at Annual Credit Report Request Form, (Disclaimer) or by calling 1-877-322-8228.
- File a report with your local police or the police in the community where the identity theft took place.
- Report identity theft at the Federal Trade Commission’s Identity Theft webpage.