Skip to content
What should I do if I get a call claiming there's a problem with my Social Security number or account?

Frequently Asked Questions

Last Modified:

If you think someone is using your Social Security number (SSN), there are several actions you can take.

  • Review the earnings posted to your record on your Social Security Statement and report any inconsistencies to us.
  • Contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at 1-800-908-4490 or visit them online, if you believe someone is using your SSN to work, get your tax refund, or other abuses involving taxes.
  • Order free credit reports annually from the three major credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion). Make a single request for all three credit bureau reports at Annual Credit Report Request Form, (Disclaimer) or by calling 1-877-322-8228.
  • File a report with your local police or the police in the community where the identity theft took place.
  • Report identity theft at the Federal Trade Commission’s Identity Theft webpage.

More Information
Identity Theft And Your Social Security Number
Internet Privacy Policy

Comments (0)

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?