Skip to content
What should I do if I get a call claiming there's a problem with my Social Security number or account?

Frequently Asked Questions

Last Modified:

A surviving spouse, surviving divorced spouse, unmarried child, or dependent parent may be eligible for monthly survivor benefits based on the deceased worker’s earnings.

In addition, a one-time lump sum death payment of $255 can be made to a qualifying spouse or child if they meet certain requirements. Survivors must apply for this payment within two years of the date of the number holder’s death.

You cannot apply for survivors benefits online. To report a death or apply for survivors benefits, call or visit your local Social Security office.

More Information
If You Are The Survivor
Survivors Benefits

Comments (0)

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?