Skip to content
What should I do if I get a call claiming there's a problem with my Social Security number or account?

Frequently Asked Questions

Last Modified:

Some same-sex couples in non-marital legal relationships (such as civil unions and domestic partnerships) may qualify for benefits as a spouse or surviving spouse if they meet certain requirements.

If you think you may be entitled to benefits, we encourage you to contact us right away. If you previously applied and were denied survivors benefits, you should contact us. You should apply even if you are not sure if you are entitled.

To learn more about same-sex benefits, see our same-sex couples webpage.

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?