Skip to content
What should I do if I get a call claiming there's a problem with my Social Security number or account?

Frequently Asked Questions

Last Modified:

If you legally change your name because of marriage, divorce, or court order or need to correct your name for other reasons, you must tell us. This way you can get a replacement Social Security number (SSN) card with your correct legal name. Visit Defining the legal Name for an SSN for more information.

Visit our Social Security Number and Card webpage and answer a few questions to find out the best way to apply for your corrected card. In some states, you can use your personal my Social Security account to request a replacement card. If you are not eligible for that, you can still begin the process online and complete it in your local Social Security office or Card Center, usually in less time.

If you are unable to use our online application, you will need to complete an Application for a Social Security Card and show us the required documents. To get an SSN card with a corrected name, you will likely need to provide evidence of your identity, your new legal name, and name change event. You also may need to prove your current U.S. citizenship or lawful noncitizen status.

For a list of documents you may need, go to the Learn What Documents You Need page and select “Corrected” under the “Type of Card” heading.

For more information read our Your Social Security Number and Card publication.

Comments (0)

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?