Social Security’s security process and federal guidelines require us to take extra measures to verify your identity online. It helps us ensure you are who you say you are and it protects your information.
You must provide some personal information to verify your identity.
To begin the verification process, please provide your:
- Social Security Number.
- Date of Birth.
- Home Address.
- Cell Phone Number (suggested).
- Email Address.
If you provided a cell phone number, you can choose to provide your driver’s license, learner’s permit, or state-issued ID by taking a photo of it or entering your information manually. If you did not provide a cell phone number, you can only enter your information manually.
Take a photo:
- Select the “Request Text Message” button.
- Select the link in the text message and select “Continue.”
- Camera app launches or you need to launch the camera app (depending on security settings). When prompted, take a photo of the front and back of your driver’s license, learner’s permit, or state-issued ID and select “Continue.”
- If the upload is successful, you will see the screen with the message, “you have completed the photo capture.” Go to the window you left open before taking the photos and finish setting up your account.
If there is a technical issue uploading your photos, you receive an alert “Retake photo — select try again.” If you are still unable to upload your photos, you will be directed to enter your information manually.
- Enter the type of ID you have (driver’s license, learner’s permit, or state-issued ID), the issuing state, and the ID number.
- Enter some financial information to complete the verification. This step is optional.
If there were verification issues above or you elected not to use your ID, you will need to answer questions from your credit history only you should know. In some cases, you may be asked to enter additional financial information to verify your identity.
You will receive an activation code to complete the process of creating your personal my Social Security. You are given the option to select whether to receive your activation code by postal mail or text message if we can verify at least one of those two options.
If you receive your activation code via text message, you can finish creating your account right away by entering the code you receive in the message. If you receive your code by mail, you will need to go to www.ssa.gov/myaccount and select “Finish Setting Up Your Account.”
Choose a username that is between 8 and 20 characters in length, consisting of letters and numbers only. Once we confirm that your requested username is available, you can then create your password.
Your password must:
- Begin with a letter or number.
- Contain 8 to 64 characters.
- Contain upper and lower case letters.
- Contain numbers.
- Contain symbols (! @ # $ % ^ & * -).
To choose your security questions, select one question from each of the three drop-down menus and provide an answer for each selected question. Answers to the questions cannot be the same.
Watch our video, my Social Security – Creating Your Account: