Skip to content
SSA Transitioning Authentication Services to

Frequently Asked Questions

Last Modified:

You will need to apply for a replacement Social Security card to change the status shown on your Social Security card.

You can apply for a replacement Social Security card at the same time you request employment authorization from the Department of Homeland Security, using Form I-765 Application For Employment Authorization under the Enumeration Beyond Entry (EBE) program.

Once the DHS approves your application, they will send us information to process your request for a replacement Social Security card that reflects your updated employment status.

You will receive your card within 7 to 10 business days after you receive your I-766 Employment Authorization Document (EAD) or I-551 Lawful Permanent Resident Card (Green Card). We will mail your Social Security card to the address you provided on Form I-765.

If you did not request a replacement Social Security card on your I-765 application, you must contact your local Social Security office or Social Security Card Center AFTER you receive your EAD or Green Card. You will need to provide proof of your identity, DHS employment authorization, and immigration status to request a replacement card.


All documents must be either originals or certified copies by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. Any documents you mail to us will be returned to you along with a receipt.

Comments (0)

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?