Skip to content
What should I do if I get a call claiming there's a problem with my Social Security number or account?

Frequently Asked Questions

Last Modified:

If you have reached full retirement age, but are not yet age 70, you can ask us to suspend your benefits to earn delayed retirement credits. If your benefits are suspended, you will not be able to receive benefits on someone else’s Social Security record and anyone receiving benefits on your record (excluding divorced spouses) will also be suspended.

Your payments will be suspended the month after the request was made. The suspension ends the month after you request to resume benefits or the month before you turn age 70, whichever is earlier.

For more information go to our Suspending Your Retirement Benefit Payments page.

Comments (0)

Give us Feedback.

Did this answer your question?